Set in the 1960's, The Truthful Story shares the coming of age journey of ten-year old Genevieve Donovan during a tumultuous era and in an unforgettable place. When Genny’s Nannie dies mysteriously in the Lowcountry river she’s loved and lived near all her life, Genny and her family are heartbroken. It is a time when new industry is encroaching on old country, and Genny fears her grandmother may have gotten in the way of so-called progress. As Genny and her family struggle with loss and heartache, she begins to fear her grandmother’s death was not an accident and the drunkard son of a local businessman may have played a role.
The Truthful Story is as timeless as its Lowcountry setting and explores:
· The understanding that everyone has a gift – something special and unique- to offer to others
· Believing in the value and wisdom of that invisible space between young and old, black and white, humans and nature, and life and death
· Life in the South during the 1960’s when industry, segregation and an entire “way of life” was being challenged
· Inter-generational family dynamics and mother-daughter relationships
· The celebration of strong women and their love of family
· Coming of age while coping with family loss, first love, and finding a best friend
About the author:
Helen Stine was born and raised in Charleston, SC. She is a graduate from the College of Charleston with a degree in English. After college, she spent 27 years as a military spouse, raised two children, traveled extensively, and pursued a career in early childhood education. During this time, she co-authored Staying on Course: The Early Childhood Board’s Guide to Success for boards of directors operating child care programs. Five years ago, she teamed with her husband and son to form an independent film production company, Rushaway Pictures. They have produced three award-winning short films and their first full-length feature film is underway. Inspired by her childhood memories and love of the Lowcountry, The Truthful Story is her first work of fiction.
Connect with Stine on linkedin and Goodreads and learn more at www.helenstine.com.
The Truthful Story will be available October 1 on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and will be available in paperback, hardcover, audiobook and ebook formats wherever books are sold.
I recevied a complimentary copy.
Cassandra's Review- Set in an older time, this book will bring you back or for some people introduce you to an era while bringing in a story that is really good. The author writes as if the characters were real at one time and brings her books to life.