With summer wrapping up and a new season quickly approaching, September brings plenty of opportunities to try new flavors, recipes and meal ideas leading into fall. Whether you’re kicking it off with a Labor Day weekend barbecue or celebrating quirky holidays with festive dishes, Hormel Foods will make sure you're prepared for a month packed with hosting, cooking and of course eating!
Take Out the “Labor” in Labor Day: Most people think of Labor Day weekend as the “last weekend of summer,” so why not finish off the season with a bang?! Whether you’re staying in the neighborhood or hitting the road, Hormel Foods has meal tips, recipe ideas and hosting how-tos to help you to spice up your Labor Day weekend and soak up the last days of summer.
· Host It: Labor Day weekend is the perfect time of year to gather up old friends and family for an at-home barbeque. For a large group, try LLOYD’S® Pulled Pork, which lets you add your own sauce, for some hearty pulled pork sandwiches. Even if you’re traveling away, you can still pack tasty appetizers for the road like HORMEL GATHERINGS® Party Trays and HORMEL® side dishes to arrive at your party fully prepared!
· Roast it: Just in time for International Bacon Day on Sept. 5, put your bacon to work in this classic roasted Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf using HORMEL® BLACK LABEL® bacon. Pair it off with these Roasted Honey and Bacon Brussels Sprouts (substitute with HORMEL® Real Crumbled Bacon) for a tasty side dish that’s a perfect balance of sweet and savory.
· Post It: With parties, road trips and recipes galore, we’d love to see your favorite moments from Labor Day weekend on social media! Share your family gatherings or favorite party dish with us on Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #HormelFamily and tagging @HormelFoods to let us know!
Food Trends from the Test Kitchen: With the first day of fall landing on Sept. 23, one way you can test your palate this season is with the “flavor combination” trend. You may be thinking about traditional fall flavors like pumpkin, salted caramel, maple and cinnamon, but try taking your flavor game to the next level by pairing them with hearty meats like bacon, jerky or beef, like in these Bacon Pumpkin Bars using HORMEL® Real Bacon Pieces – you may find that opposites really do attract!
Better Breakfast Month: Breakfast is known as “the most important meal of the day,” so celebrate it during Better Breakfast Month this September with a hearty meal like this Cowboy Breakfast using HORMEL® Fully Cooked Bacon and HORMEL® Chili With Beans. For the adults rushing to work and kids heading to school this month, get in the habit of enjoying a full morning meal with quick and easy options like HORMEL® COMPLEATS® breakfast meals, which now come in new varieties like Turkey Bacon and Egg Whites Breakfast Scramble, Ham Breakfast Scramble and SPAM® Breakfast Scramble.
National Peanut Day: While we never need a reason to eat peanut butter, this month is the perfect time to celebrate your peanut addition for National Peanut Day (Sept. 13). If you’re more of a peanut butter fanatic, Hormel Foods has some great recipes from SKIPPY® peanut butter to satisfy your cravings like Creamy Grilled PB&J’s for lunch followed by Frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Pops for dessert!
· Did you know? The average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year. And even more astonishing, the average child will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before he or she graduates high school! Check out @TheFunNut on Twitter for some more great facts and tidbits about peanut butter!
Mexican Independence Day: Dating all the way back to the year 1810, celebrate Mexican Independence Day this month on Sept. 16! Whether you like salsa versus guacamole or prefer quesadillas over tacos, Hormel Foods brands CHI-CHI’S® and HERDEZ® have everything you need to craft your favorite Mexican dishes. For an easy weeknight meal, try these Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps using CHI-CHI’S® Thick and Chunky Salsa. And if your celebrations lead into the weekend, whip up this Tomatillo Chicken Chili using HERDEZ® Tomatillo Verde Mexican Cooking Sauce.
· Did you know? MegaMex Foods is a joint venture between two of the best-known producers in the food industry: Hormel Foods and Herdez del Fuerte. MegaMex Foods is the only national food company in the U.S. to focus solely on the ingredients and flavors of authentic Mexican cuisine – delicioso!
I received complimentary product.